Who Are We?
One of the best things about Youth Theatre is the camaraderie that develops between all the age groups, parents, other adult helpers, teenagers and children, all working together for a common goal. Another is the love that is evident everywhere, supporting us all in everything we do with enthusiasm, flowing out to the audience in every performance, inspiring ourselves and those around us. Love underlies the fun in everything we do!
Melanie began with NYTC’s debut show Surgical Sensations at St Senapods. Now 176 shows later she still loves the energy and enthusiasm youth bring to shows ~ and loves that NYTC gives them these roles… so often youth are underestimated. She was the first New Zealander to gain the RSCM Gold Award in 2012 along with Susan Ledingham and Helen Baker, “It’s always astounding what youth can accomplish if only they are believed in!”
What is Youth Theatre?
Founded in January 2000, the Nelson Youth Theatre Company is run entirely by volunteers and to date has produced over 190 shows and run over 60 professionally taught theatre courses for young people in Nelson.
It was set up to provide opportunities for the Youth of Nelson to challenge themselves and expand their abilities through theatrical productions, whether as actors, singers, dancers, stage crew or technicians, and its slogan is “Inspiring the Future through Creativity”.
In so doing, it encourages self-motivation and self-discipline, and inspires creativity among all those involved, so that they become excellent role models for their peers, while encouraging the development of leadership skills, through providing training in directing and the opportunity to either codirect or solo direct youth theatre productions.
It also provides scholarships for youth actors to attend local, national or international training courses in theatre arts on an annual basis, and brings enjoyment, laughter and delight to a wide-ranging theatre audience by providing high quality entertainment in theatrical productions for the Nelson community. Shows such as “Les Miserables” (three times), “Chicago” and “Cats” rate among the most successful shows to be produced in Nelson in recent years.
What is the Youth Theatre Trust?
OBJECTIVES OF THE TRUST
The Inspiring Youth Theatre Charitable Trust has been set up to financially assist and support the Nelson Youth Theatre Company as it strives to provide opportunities for young people to challenge themselves and expand their abilities through theatrical productions, whether as actors, singers, dancers, stage crew or technicians.
To advance interest-free loans to the Nelson Youth Theatre Company for major show performing rights, and to purchase major items of equipment, such as lighting and sound gear, storage containers or major items of set needed for the effective running of Youth Theatre shows, provided these items are likely to be used on multiple occasions and are of use to the Nelson theatre Community.
To raise funds through such activities as earnings, grants, sponsorship, fundraising, donations or commissions to enable the Trust to provide support and assistance consistent with its charitable purposes, and to generally do all acts, matters and things that the Trustees consider necessary or conducive to further or obtain the objects and aims of the Trust as set out above including gifting scholarships to outstanding or hard working members of the Nelson Youth Theatre Company.
At Nelson Youth Theatre Company, our mission is to create opportunities for young people to develop valuable life skills and self confidence while expanding their abilities through theatrical productions. We strive to encourage self motivation and self discipline, and to inspire creativity among all those involved, so that they become excellent role models for their peers. Our main goal is to encourage the development of leadership skills, through providing opportunities to direct, choreograph, stage manage and play senior acting roles in major theatrical productions.
- To provide opportunities for the Youth of Nelson to challenge themselves and expand their abilities through theatrical productions, whether as actors, singers, dancers, stage crew or technicians.
- To create opportunities for youth actors to receive professional training from tertiary level theatre practitioners and educators, to further their knowledge and skills base as a preparation for entry into the profession.
- To regularly stage multiple productions in one season/venue (Multiplex productions) which allow up to a dozen talented actors to play lead roles, an additional 30 to 40 to play strong character roles, while the youngest play small roles suited to their ability.
- To encourage self-motivation and self-discipline, and to inspire creativity among all those involved, so that they become excellent role models for their peers.
- To encourage the development of leadership skills, through providing training in directing and the opportunity to either co-direct or solo direct youth theatre productions.
- To publicise other national and international training opportunities, such as Summer Schools for youth actors, directors and technicians, and to network with other Youth Theatre groups around the world.
- To provide scholarships for youth actors to attend local, national or international training courses in theatre arts on an annual basis.
- To bring enjoyment, laughter and delight to a wide-ranging theatre audience by providing high quality entertainment in theatrical productions for the Nelson community.
- To organise sponsorship for 100 free seats for disadvantaged children, who would not otherwise have the opportunity to attend performances of a large scale musical or family pantomime staged in the Theatre Royal or School of Music.
- Providing a safe and caring environment for your child.
- Providing opportunities for your child to develop new skills, extend themselves and gain confidence to take risks in the pursuit of their goals.
- Providing feedback and coaching on your child’s performances.
- Mobile phones may be used during rehearsals by participants who are not currently required on stage. However mobile phones may not be used on stage and participants must make a special effort to respond to acting calls. Nelson Youth Theatre Company reserve the right to request that specific participants do not use mobile phones during rehearsals if they are proving to be an ongoing distraction.
- Mobile phones must be switched off during final rehearsals and performances unless permission is granted by the director or producer of the show.
- Treat the production as a team effort and support one another.
- Avoid all forms of harassment of other participants including via text, social media or gossip.
- Respect the direction of volunteers who help run the productions.
- Make an effort to meet the performance standards required, this is likely to require individual practice or homework outside of rehearsals.
- Adhere to the Nelson Youth Theatre Company’s mobile phone policy.
- Adhere to the Nelson Youth Theatre Company’s drop off and collection policy.
- Adhere to the Nelson Youth Theatre Company’s photography and recording policy.
- Respect venues where Nelson Youth Theatre Company rehearse or perform, and the personnel involved in running these venues.
- Respect Nelson Youth Theatre Company property and hired property, such as scripts, costumes, props and microphones.
- Adhere to Nelson Youth Theatre Company’s health and safety policy.
- Report all incidents and issues to a member of the Nelson Youth Theatre Company team, no matter how small.
- To provide prompt feedback to Nelson Youth Theatre Company regarding any concerns you may have regarding the involvement of your, or any other, child in Nelson Youth Theatre Company.
- To ensure that your child is able to get to rehearsals on time and is dropped off and collected in accordance with Nelson Youth Theatre Company’s policy.
- That all fees are paid on time to allow Nelson Youth Theatre Company to meet its financial commitments.
- To encourage and support your child by helping them learn lines, practice songs and in particular to help them deal with disappointments and view all productions as a team effort.
- To recognise that everybody has strengths and weaknesses, but that public comparison of different actors abilities in a production can be profoundly damaging to the actors, to the production and to Nelson Youth Theatre Company as a whole.
- Please ensure that children under your care are dropped off and collected from the door of the venue. Nelson Youth Theatre Company specifically requests that children are not asked to wait outside venues, or on the road side.
- If you would like to participate in car pooling please let Nelson Youth Theatre Company know and your name, phone number and suburb will be put on a list that will be made available to all participating parents and caregivers with children in the production. The organisation of car pooling will be between parents and caregivers.
- No photography or video recording of any kind is allowed without prior agreement from the production director. This includes on stage, back stage and around the rehearsal or performance venue. The reason for this restriction is to both protect the participants in the show from unwanted photographs and video recording and to protect Nelson Youth Theatre Company from violations of its intellectual property commitments to the owners of the production.
- Accept that the safety of youth under the care of Nelson Youth Theatre Company is the over riding concern.
- Accept that if concerns regarding their behaviour are raised that the adult’s involvement with the Nelson Youth Theatre Company may be terminated solely at Nelson Youth Theatre Company’s discretion.
- Are aware that the police may be involved in incidents involving the safety of youth at the discretion of Nelson Youth Theatre Company.
- Agree not to pursue any one on one social contact with youth during the term of their involvement at Nelson Youth Theatre Company without the knowledge of their parent or caregiver.
- Agree to include the relevant parent or caregiver in all communication with youth involved with Nelson Youth Theatre Company that is not strictly related to the production.
- Maintain a professional relationship with youth that is focussed on the youth’s role within the production. Specifically, there will be no comments of a sexual nature or unnecessary physical contact.
- Will ensure that their use of social media adheres to the guidelines in this document.
- Agree to raise all incidents and any violations of this code of conduct with a specified member of the production team.
- Agree to undergo Police vetting.